Sunday 14 June 2015

Tomatoes Tarte Tatin

I love tarte Tatin. Caramelised apples on a buttery pastry. This is not something one messes with and I have always seen the other-than-apple tarte Tatin as a failed way to improve it. I have never been so wrong because the idea is actually to apply this marvelous combination to other ingredients to try to improve them (and not the original tarte).
But then I read this appealing tomatoes tarte Tatin recipe:


PART I
- 400g cherry tomatoes cut in halves and de-seeded (otherwise pastry gets soggy)
- 1 red oignon
Lay out on a baking tray with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes.

PART II
- 30g butter
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 cloves or garlic
- 2 tbsp thyme
Color for a couple of minutes in the pan then mix with the tomatoes and onion. Lay the pastry above it, tucking in the edges and bake for 20-30 minutes at 200°C.

It was amazing!! I loved the balance between sweetness of the caramelised onions and sharpness of garlic & vinegar.



No comments:

Post a Comment